posted in 2009 season, injuries, pitching |
Dontrelle Willis made a start for Triple-A Toledo on Friday against Lehigh Valley. While he didn’t have a complete FAIL, he did not really impress greatly either. His line for the day was three earned runs on seven hits and two walks in five innings. He hit a batter and threw a wild pitch. Both walks came in the first inning. He threw 60 strikes in 102 pitches. He left with the lead but the Mud Hens lost, 6-5. (box)
Stephen, from the comments on the Detroit Tigers Weblog site, reports:
I just watched Willis pitch at Lehigh Valley. What wasn’t encouraging was his velocity, rarely above 85, or his manic movements on the mound. There was a lot of batting practice fastballs that a major leaguer would have hammered. He never could get into a rhythm and he seems to be over-compensating and trying to convince himself and everyone around him that he’s having a good time out on the mound. It was a decent performance for a #4 starter for a AAA team, like a Casey Fossum type, but in terms of being an effective major league starter he has a long, long way to go.
Willis has been working his way back to the majors after being placed on the disabled list this spring with anxiety disorder. In Advanced-A Lakeland and Double-A Erie starts, he put together a couple of no-hit innings to start both games. In Toledo, he was throwing balls from the start. I believe it would be rushing the matter to try to get Willis to Detroit before he has proven to himself and the team he’s ready. I have not seen reports of what is next for Willis, however.
Take 75 North, the Tiger minor league blog, has more info on Willis as well.
- May 14, 2009 -- Willis earns second look
- May 7, 2009 -- Update: D-Train back sooner than we thought
- April 26, 2009 -- Willis focusing on having fun, staying grounded
- April 26, 2009 -- Willis performs well in Double-A rehab
- April 21, 2009 -- Rehabbing the night away
- March 29, 2009 -- Willis, Zumaya to DL
- March 24, 2009 -- The leg kick may be working
- March 21, 2009 -- Zach Miner won’t be the fifth starter, so who will?
- March 14, 2009 -- Pitchers make us want to puke
- March 9, 2009 -- Lefties leave disappointment
- March 4, 2009 -- Willis stumbles, or does he?
- February 28, 2009 -- Willis d’railed in first spring appearance
- February 16, 2009 -- Why Dontrelle wins a spot in the rotation and other thoughts
- February 15, 2009 -- Could the Tigers make a trade?
- August 19, 2008 -- Daily Fungo Mike’s Questions: Part 1
- June 10, 2008 -- Willis to Lakeland
- June 10, 2008 -- Willis’ struggles: visual evidence
- June 9, 2008 -- Game 63: Day dreary, D-Train dreadful
- May 22, 2008 -- Dontrelle to the bullpen
- May 18, 2008 -- Willis makes successful start in Toledo
- May 13, 2008 -- Injured Tigers coming along
- April 22, 2008 -- A few upcoming questions
- April 12, 2008 -- Willis to DL
- April 12, 2008 -- Game 10: Bullpen awes
- March 27, 2008 -- WhatchutalkinaboutWillis?
- March 7, 2008 -- Most important Tigers
- March 2, 2008 -- Tigers weekend wrap
- February 11, 2008 -- Bunt Singles: Maroth signs minor league deal with KC
- December 6, 2007 -- Bunt Singles: The news keeps coming
- December 5, 2007 -- Upon further review: mass excitement
- December 4, 2007 -- BLOCKBUSTER! Willis, Cabrera Tigers, but high price
- December 4, 2007 -- Winter Meetings Day 2: Smoke and Mirrors begins