Edit: Uhm, yeah, vacation just started and I already don’t know what day it is.
Some notes of important pitchers pitching in unimportant places.
- The Tigers announced Zach Miner will be returning from Triple-A Toledo to start in Monday’s game. So it appears he’s the important “fifth starter.” He struck out 15 and walked two in his time there. Starting the previous two games, he struck out 12 and walked two. The problem, if you want some downside, if he only pitched 4 and 4-1/3 innings in the starts.
- In High-A, Dontrelle Willis pitched. That’s not all that eventful in and of itself. But this line is: 3IP, 0 BB, 4 H, 1 R. ZERO WALKS IN THREE INNINGS!!
Does Freep.com insist on putting the same stories on its RSS feed for multiple days in an effort to get removed from my RSS reader? Because that’s where it’s leading.
- Jason Beck reports Edgar Renteria’s hamstring is still bothering him. It probably isn’t bothering Tigers fans too much, though.
- I hate the Twins.
- It was nice to see Sheffield come back to life last night. But a few things came to mind as Sheff homered once and had a second long ball caught over the fence in a defensive gem. 1) We’ve seen this before, after he came off the DL. 2) Does he need the extra rest, IE less playing time, to be consistently good? 3) Did ballpark dimensions affect things at all?
- My answers were: 1) Yes. 2) Yes? 3) Probably not given Oriole Park/Camden isn’t that much smaller to left.
- Fernando Rodney is on the trading block, the Freep reports. They didn’t have much to say. I’ll add that I doubt he fetches much. He’s basically going to fill the same role for any other team as he does for the Tigers: Some potential but not much more. No one’s going to give any useful pieces for him, I’m guessing. So the Tigers may as well just keep him around and decrease the pressure situations for awhile longer. He has some value. Just not in a one-run game.