12th April 2008Random |
- Dontrelle Willis left the game in the first inning with a hyperextended knee which occured when he slipped, before even recording a single out.
- Normally this spells disaster. But the pen stepped up, with Aquilino Lopez allowing just two runs in four innings, and then ( and this deserves its own line)
- Jason Grilli pitched three scoreless innings, including two perfect innings after loading the bases in his first inning of work.
- Denny Bautista set it up and Todd Jones pitched a perfect inning with two (!!) strikeouts. (!)
- On the hitting side of things, Carlos Guillen tweaked his hamstring.
- The Tigers had 11 his, including two by Brandon Inge, Miguel Cabrera and Clete Thomas
- Thomas made a fabulous throw from deep left field to get Jermain Dye out at second when he tried to stretch a single into a double. (That was the only hit Bautista allowed).
- The bullpen wasn’t as bad as Thursday. It probably isn’t as good as Friday. Eventually it’s going to settle in. I suspect with a few more tweaks we’ll discover it — like Jason Grilli — isn’t nearly as bad as reputation and early returns might make you think.
- The real worry is of course losing a starting pitcher when the minors aren’t real deep with starter helper. (Bilfer looked into who can replace Willis, if need be).
- You also have to hope the heavy use of the bullpen Friday doesn’t have negative returns in Saturday’s and Sunday’s games.
- And the cold weather seems to be making everyone’s muscles sore. You hate to see weather taking a toll like it is.
- But a win’s a win. Only takes one more to win the series on Chicago’s turf.